Beaufort Music Festival orchestrates 31st year of music
Locals, visitors, and boaters alike anxiously await the Beaufort Music Festival every May. The free event is a two-day celebration of great music, family fun, and local eats. It all takes center stage on Beaufort’s waterfront.
In its 31st year, the Beaufort Music Festival is organized and presented by the recently formed nonprofit corporation, Beaufort Arts and Music, Inc.
Two of the main goals of the Festival are to present a diverse music line-up and to introduce attendees to fresh musical acts.
The newly formed board has worked tirelessly to create what they hope to be the best Beaufort Music Festival to date. As a result, they have made a few enhancements including a change of venue.
This year the festival takes place at Gallants Channel, where festival organizers plan to remain for years to come. Situated on over five waterfront acres, the property is located near the base of the new Gallants Channel high rise bridge leading into Beaufort. Gallants Channel is located at 172 West Beaufort Road, Beaufort, NC 28516.
The new location will create a classic festival setting which is sure to provide attendees with lots of Instagram-able moments due to the expansive waterfront backdrop.
The BMF continues to strive to become a family-inclusive event. This year the festival will provide an immersive experience for all ages over two days with food trucks, a family area with children’s activities. Children of all ages are welcome.
A beer garden will highlight North Carolina craft brews.
Throughout BMF history, festival organizers have landed some amazing performers including the Avett Brothers, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, St Paul and the Broken Bones, Margo Price, Richie Havens, Southern Culture on the Skids, the Banditos, the Rosebuds, the Steep Canyon Rangers, Tift Merritt, Mandolin Orange, American Aquarium, Donna the Buffalo, Yarn, River Whyless, AJ Ghent Band, Chatham County Line, Old Man Markley, Bombadil, Justin Townes Earle, Wrinkle Neck Mules, and many, many more.
Each year, the Festival gives back to the local community with outreach activities. The BMF is funded by sponsorships from local businesses, donations, partnerships with local organizations, and beer and wine sales during the Festival, all of which allow it to remain a free event.
Musical headliner features the sounds of No BS! Brass Band on Friday night.
Based in Richmond, Virginia, the popular band has quickly earned a reputation as a premiere band to see for heart-pounding energy and uncontrollable dancing. They take their music into uncharted territory, embracing the spirit of New Orleans into its original East Coast modern funk and fearlessly combining elements of James Brown, John Coltrane, Michael Jackson, and Led Zeppelin into their fiercely original sound.
Founders Reggie Pace and Lance Koehler have cast this 11-piece band in which nearly every member has had conservatory training, holding various degrees in music. In putting together the compositions and arrangements, the “b.s.” has been stripped to give the audience something solid, unique, organic, real, and powerful. They have the look of New Orleans with the raw sound all their own.
Saturday night’s musical headliner features the band Hiss Golden Messenger.
Hallelujah Anyhow is the latest studio album from Hiss Golden Messenger, out September 22 worldwide on Merge Records. Its ten new songs, penned by HGM principal M.C. Taylor, were recorded with Brad Cook, Phil Cook, Chris Boerner, Josh Kaufman, Darren Jessee, Michael Lewis, and Scott Hirsch. Tift Merritt, Alexandra Sauser-Monnig, Skylar Gudasz, Tamisha Waden, Mac McCaughan, and John Paul White provided vocal harmonies.
Beaufort Music Festival (BMF) is a community-supported, volunteer-run event put on by Beaufort Arts and Music, Incorporated, a 501c3 non-profit organization. For over 30 years, the free festival has taken place each May in historic Beaufort, and the town is packed on Friday and Saturday with locals and tourists alike enjoying the beautiful weather and some great music.
2019 Musical Line-up
Friday Evening Performances
- 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. :: Chatham Rabbits
- 6:30 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. :: Driskill
- 7:15 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. :: The Tan & Sober Gentlemen
- 8:15 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. :: Stop Light Observations
- 9:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. :: No BS! Brass
- 1:00 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. :: Qualian
- 1:45 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. :: Strung Together
- 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. :: Hot Buttered Grits
- 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. :: Durty Dub’s Tribute to Charley Pride
- 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. :: Pie Face Girls
- 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. :: The Artisanals
- 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. :: Kamara Thomas
- 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. :: Aaron Lee Tasjan
- 8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. :: Lilly Hiatt
- 9:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. :: Hiss Golden Messenger
When You Go…
Date & Time:
Enjoy two days of great entertainment:
- Friday May 17, 2019, 5:30 – 11 p.m.
- Saturday, May 18, 2019, 1 – 11 p.m.
- Venue: Gallants Channel, 172 West Beaufort Road, Beaufort, NC 28516.
- Distance from Beaufort Hotel NC: 2.9 miles (8-minute drive).
Limited on-site parking at Gallants Channel.
- Free parking on Friday night.
- Parking will be available on-site at Gallants Channel for $10 on Saturday.
There will be 2 FREE shuttle stops in downtown Beaufort ONLY ON SATURDAY:
- Beaufort Town Hall – 701 Front Street
- Parking lot beside Fishtowne Brew House– 150 Turner Street
Don’t forget to tag your photos:
For additional information or questions:
Need to Know Before You Go
Food & Beverage Options
Please be aware of the following guidelines for on-site food and beverage:
- NO outside alcohol (Help abide by ABC laws).
- To eliminate single use plastics, the festival will not be serving drinks in plastic cups. In order to consume alcohol at the festival each patron will need to purchase a BMF Steel Pint for $4.
- Each patron consuming alcohol on site will need to purchase a Beaufort Music Festival Steel Pint for $4 – we are eliminating plastic cups!!
- A FREE water truck will be on-site, so each person is permitted and encouraged to bring ONE empty reusable water bottle.
- No coolers.
- No outside food or drinks.
- Food trucks and Vendors will be on site.
- NO “tailgating” in parking lots in Beaufort.
Additional things to know:
- Low chairs ARE allowed, though not directly in front of the stage.
- Bikes ARE allowed (and encouraged!) – Bring your own lock.
- Sunscreen and rain gear are a good idea. It’s Eastern North Carolina, you never know.
- Only service dogs will be permitted.
Discover the hidden gems that will make your trip unforgettable by experiencing the gem of the Crystal Coast on the Southern Outer Banks of Eastern North Carolina – the new Beaufort Hotel NC, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member. Our boutique 133-room hotel offers relaxing accommodations and friendly staff members that can introduce you to the unique sights and experiences in Beaufort, North Carolina.
The Beaufort Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, has overnight accommodations available for the Beaufort Music Festival. Call today at 252-728-2000 or book online.